Chasing a Dream

Chasing a Dream
John and I with our LP finishers medals

Monday, October 4, 2010

6 week update on Crossfit and other ramblings

It has been a while since my last post.  I am back at school, teaching algebra 1/geometry and honors algebra 2.  And my girls are both running cross country, which takes up many nights per week.

I will try to briefly catch up with everyone on how things are going.

Workouts (just a sampling of a typical week):
My goals are 4 runs / 4 crossfit WOD strength workouts/ 1 bike per week.  I consider this my off season, although I am running the Columbus HALF marathon on October 16th.  This has broken down into a typical week like last week:

MondayAM: 5 rounds for time of 20 pushups/20meter Farmers Carry of 25lb dumbells/15 squats holding 25lb dumbells/20m Farmer Carry back to start  Total time 11:43

Monday PM: Run wu one mile then 3 by 3 minutes intervals with 3 minute recovery then cool down- total 2.5 miles

Tuesday AM: 5 rounds for time of 8 pullups/ 16 dips/10 overhead squats with 15lb dumbells/10 toes to bar total time 19:43

Wednesday AM: 5K for time on the treadmill in 24:50

Thursday: Run Warmup then 4min/5min/6min/5min/4min hard run with 2 minutes easy run between  total of 4 miles

FridayAM: 3 rounds for time of 400meter run/ 21 Kettlebell Swings/12 pullups

SaturdayAM: 12 mile run (not too happy with my pace because I am having problems with a sore hamstring that has lasted FOREVER)  pace was 9:37 after the last two weeks I ran 12 miles and 13 miles with my pace at about 9:10

Sunday: 5 rounds of 30 secON/30secOFF of pushups/situps/lunges

Was planning on biking on Wednesday afternoon, but didn't!  So 4 strength workouts/4 running workouts

I am getting more comfortable with running faster on this program.  I can run around 9:00 pace comfortably for long runs and it feels about the same as what I would feel at 9:30 pace.  I am also feeling some of my strength coming back.  After doing p90x and other programs I could push out 25 pushups no problem.  After NOT doing any strength work for months, 10 pushups were hard.  I can now easily get 20 out without pausing.

My 9 mile race on September 11th I did 8:25 pace.  On October 16th for my half marathon my B goal is to PR by going sub-1:53 and my A goal is sub-1:50 which means I need to go near 8:20 pace.  One of the keys is to get my hamstring feeling healed!  I am trying to do lots of stretching and some icing, and using my trigger point ball to massage the area!

Nutrition:
I continue to eat as close to Vegan as possible.  I seem to allow some dairy pretty frequently.  Creamer in my coffee, and cheese here and there, especially when eating out.  I am not too picky on bread and so there are egg and dairy in many of them.

I do NOT miss meat at all, and I have NO wish to eat meat.  My new favorite food blog is Fat Free Vegan with lots of good recipes.  I made yellow split pea soup with sweet potatos and kale last night, along with the asparagus chickpea casserole.  Thanks to Michelle for suggesting it.

I continue to work on losing this last 10-15 pounds to no avail.  I know why.  I can't get the evil thing out of my diet-->SUGAR!!!

FAMILY:
My most prized possession. 

Matt is back to Ohio State.  He went to Age Group Nationals and competed in the under 19 division in Alabama a few weeks ago.  He had a pr with a 2:07 for an OLY tri and came in 6th.  He continues to be a leader of the Ohio State Triathlon Club, serving as their running coach as only a sophomore.   He is very involved with them, as he keeps up his work in Honors Engineering. 
I totally!!!!! miss having him home to ride with me and help me with my bike.  Which is one of the reasons I haven't ridden much since he went back to school.  I will see him when we go down to run Columbus.  He is also running the half marathon 'with' me (but far ahead of me).

Lizzie is having a successful Cross Country season having run a 21:52 5K  last weekend.  She is in the process of applying to WestPoint for and it is looking like she should receive an appointment there.  I will miss her terribly wherever she ends up next year, as she leaved high school and makes her way in this world.  She is an amazing person!!!

Megan, my little one, is running cross country for the first time.  She is involved in so many athletics, she will have to make decisions soon.  It has been a pleasure watching her and her group of 3 friends do workouts and begin to understand how to run!  She is only in 6th grade, and becoming a wonderful young woman.

John, my awesome husband, is going to be running the Columbus full marathon.  He has been training SUPER hard for this one.  He never seems to take an 'off season'.  He is going for a second year of sub-3 hour Columbus marathon.  Last year was a 2:59!!  It all comes from hard work for him.

For all of you out in the blog world, I have been reading all your blogs and loving them.  Just not posting too many comments!  You are all so inspiring!!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Barb,

Sounds like things are going well!!!! I just finished my 21-day Vegan KickStart that I did in September and LOVED it. Totally sticking to it indefinitely. I lost 7 lbs without trying - not hungry, not restricting amount of food, etc. Maybe try tossing out the last non-vegan remnants and see what happens? The cream in my coffee was the last to go, but honestly, I don't miss it at all.

I had the split pea w/ sweet potatoes & kale today for lunch - yum. Let me know how you like the asparagus / chickpea stew - haven't made that yet but am looking forward to it!

Good luck in Columbus!!! I have a half on 10/17. Trying to go under 1:40 (my half PR on this course is 1:44). I REALLY want to see 1:3x:xx, even if it's 1:39:59!!!!!