Chasing a Dream

Chasing a Dream
John and I with our LP finishers medals

Sunday, November 14, 2010

coach swimming, teach, workout, make dinner, repeat....

BUSY DAYS DURING SWIM SEASON

I can't seem to find time to get this blog updated more than once a month or so.  Right now life is very full, this is how I like it most days.  My mornings start with the alarm going off at 4:30am.  I shower, put on sweats and sweatshirt, make a smoothie, pour my coffee and gather my lunch and such and out the door by 5:05am.  I then coach the high school swim team until 6:40.  I change into 'teaching' clothes in the locker room, drink my smoothie on the way to school where I arrive by 7:20.  I then teach a full day of algebra 1, geometry, and honors algebra 2.  I try to fit in a workout after school every day, try to make dinner, then clean up, get things packed up for the next day and it is about time for sleep.

WORKOUTS

Biking
My workout plan these days includes three days of bike workouts on the trainer.  They are posted by Jorge at PBM Coaching.  My husband and I both did the 12 week plan last winter, and felt like it gave us some good structure to our winter workouts.  They are all hr based.  I would love to get a power meter, but have not invested in one yet.  I love the structure of these workouts.  Just put your head down and work hard.  They vary from 30 seconds on/30 seconds recovery to 15 minutes on/ 2 minutes recovery.  They are typically about 50 minutes - one hour long including warmup and cool down.

100 Pushup Challenge
The whole family is also doing the 100 pushup challenge.  Husband, and 17 year old and 11 year old daughters do the workouts together three times a week.  We started week 4 today.  It is supposed to be 6 weeks long, but we may do week 5 twice.  The goal is to do 100 by Christmas.

Running
I have Boston in my long term thoughts right now, so I am trying to run three times a week.  At this time between 15 and 20 miles per week.  About the middle of January I will start 'official' training for Boston and drop one of the bike workouts and bump the running up to four times per week.

Swimming
I am at the pool 5-6 times a week.  But only get in for a workout 1-2 times per week.  I have 15 new swimmers that I work with on most days.  They need a lot of instruction, some days the head coach works with the new kids and I get in and workout with the 'veterans'.


I love working with the new swimmers every year.  They start the year not knowing what a '25' is, not knowing the swim circles in their lane, not knowing how to breathe properly, do breastroke, or fly.  And before you know it they are doing great things!!!

Matt's bike crash:
My 19 year old son, Matt, who is attending Ohio State, was hit by a car on his bike two weeks ago.  A young woman turning left, did not see him and ran right into him.  This is NOT a call that you want to get as a mother.  I literally felt like I was going to throw up until I knew exactly what was going on.

They told us he had 'facial trauma' but was speaking and at first they didn't think we needed to come down to Columbus.  We were at Lizzie's cross country meet about three hours away.  As soon as the girls ran, John headed to Cbus, and spent the night with him at the hospital.  He had a broken nose, chipped tooth, road rash on his face, and his top lip was as swollen as I have ever seen on anyone.  John sent me a picture when he got there and I was shocked.
I would have also gone, but Lizzie was scheduled for  an overnight at Westpoint the next night and so we were scheduled to leave at noon.

I saw Matt one week later when we went to Columbus for the State Cross Country meet.  He had healed amazingly fast.  There was just a little bruising on his nose still.  At that point he also still felt just sore all over and had not worked out much all week.

This weekend I was back in Columbus because Lizzie had an interview with Senator Voinovich, trying to get her nomination to Westpoint.  We saw Matt for lunch and he looked totally healed.  He was back on the bike (his tri bike and not his road bike as it was totalled in the crash) mid-week.  Thank goodness, it could have been so much worse!

Now we are just dealing with the insurance...the bike is totalled, sunglasses broken, winter biking clothes cut off him, phone damaged beyond repair.  Things are moving slowly!!

15 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Oh no, I am glad he is ok, I know here about this too much, but its scarier to think it happened on the same streets that I also ride.

Anonymous said...

Thanks as a remedy for this discriminating article, it's very famous blogs

Edmund said...

Wow.., You have an enjoyable life and routines that are very dense and also healthy. You got two thumbs up from me.

Anonymous said...

This amazing spot saved me $487 for the 12 month period! These are an online service and they are kind, caring, along with take fantastic care of their clientele. Most importantly for me, they answer messages and reply calls with humans.

Anonymous said...

Motor vehicle auto insurance isn't really truly intriguing. Depending on that typically point out you reside within, it may be more a fabulous smaller sized and larger sized part of your financial allowance versus other people upon status strains. What is the minimal for a state? I have discovered this web-site handy to work out inexpensive auto insurance. I'm certainly happy to be here.

Anonymous said...

真棒职位。真的很喜欢读你的博客帖子。

Anonymous said...

Lot of information about how to get cheap auto insurance? Getting your first car insurance policy may not be a priority but it should be. Car insurance protects one of your first investments, your car. But car insurance can be complicated and often new car insurance shoppers fail to compare car insurance rates and in turn fail to reap the financial benefits of finding the best and affordable car insurance available to them. Information here is great. Love to come back again.

Anonymous said...

Do i have to get an auto insurance when i buy a used car? or else, they don't sell the car to a person who doesn't have an auto insurance? I currently have a lease car that will be returned this January next year. But i want to get a used car soon so that i can work on the car, but i won't be driving it around. The car will be in my garage until i return the lease car and get an auto insurance. I live in Philadelphia, PA
Any suggestion?

mountain hardwear said...

Great workouts...Keep it up..Very inspiring..

Anonymous said...

When adjusters get that package thing received from an attorney with legal documents, photos and various other reports and etc. For how long does it usually state in the letter to respond? Do adjusters really reply by or on the date? How can they respond by telephone, email, letter or fax?

Anonymous said...

I hope, it's OK

Anonymous said...

What a nice post. I really love reading these types or articles. I can?t wait to see what others have to say..

Anonymous said...

buy valium does military drug test valium - medication prince valium wiki

Anonymous said...

http://technologiesuae.com/#use long does 2mg xanax xr last - popping xanax effects

Unknown said...

It is great when you enjoy fitness and healthy lifestyle! Healthy nutrition is also vital to provide you enough fuel for active recreation. I discovered safe and effective supplements - Military Grade Nutritionals, which contain a bunch of vitamins and other natural compounds to refill energy supply. These products really work, effect is awesome!